Our Lady & St Patrick's Roman Catholic Nursery & Primary School
Fourth Avenue
Teignmouth
TQ14 9DT
Tel: 01626 773905

Headteacher Mrs Sarah Barreto

Translate

History of the School

The first reference traced to a Roman Catholic School in Teignmouth is in the Directory of Devon Schools of 1857 where the address is given as Teign Street. In 1862 a 'new' school was re-housed at Dawlish Street (now Dawlish Road) near the Catholic Church. It was then a brick cottage, adapted by the addition of a fairly large room. In 1949 the Parish Hall, also in Dawlish Road, was used to accommodate the 2 classes of the Infant Department, one on the stage area and one on the main floor in the hall.

The school continued under the Local Education Authority as a Voluntary School and was given 'Aided' status in 1952. It continued to function as an all age school until 1962 when all seniors were transferred to the new Roman Catholic Secondary School, St Cuthbert Mayne, in Torquay. Our Lady and St. Patrick's School became a primary school. The school moved to its present site in 1967. In 1990 an additional classroom was built and, in September 1993, a self managed and financed Nursery for 3 and 4 year olds opened. The Nursery became part of the school in January 2007. Children aged from three to eleven now have the opportunity of an education in a Christian environment on one site. Various building projects over the last decade mean that the school buildings now consist of 8 classrooms, information and technology suite, offices, hall, library, music tuition room, small chapel, servery, staff room and a lift for disabled access

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  I accept cookies from this site.
EU Cookie Directive Module Information